“Don’t Take Anything Personally. Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering”~~ Don Miguel Ruiz
This is what I can infer from this quote:
- Nothing is ever personal.
- Nobody says or does anything because of you or anything you did.
- People’s thoughts, beliefs, and actions are projections onto others of their own stuff they’ve got going on within themselves. In other words, when you see a woman yelling at the cashier at Safeway for taking too long to bag her groceries, it’s not the cashier she’s mad at; she’s holding in a lot of rage because she has an abusive husband. She’s miserable, so she projects her misery through her actions and behaviors around others.
- What others think, believe and do doesn’t matter; all that matters is how you think, believe, and behave.
- It will be a major accomplishment when you are able to say that you no longer take things personally yet you are able to draw something positive out of it and leave it at that.
I can definitely learn something from this quote, which is why I chose it. I have a thing about taking things personally. Not at all with the example I gave, the woman at the checkout lane..I take things personally when someone I’m close to snaps at me. This quote teaches a very valuable lesson. A lot of time gets wasted on taking things personally. Don Miguel Ruiz is a very wise, wise man…